Wednesday, June 16, 2010
Thanks to a late night discovery between fellow BASS-IAN Max Lim and myself while scouring the Sydney streets for cheap eats and last minute bargain groceries, we have uncovered a groundbreaking discovery which may please a majority of the Muslim faith BASS residents.
Local grocery superstore, COLES, is a popular grocery destination choice for most of the Bruneians in Sydney due to its prime locations and low affordable prices as well as quality foodstuffs. While browsing the end of the day bargain specials, we came across shelves carrying an array of coles brand indian cuisine microwaveable meals. This meals include BUTTER CHICKEN, CHICKEN TIKKA, LAMB KORMA, BEEF MASSALA and much more and all comes with a satisfying serving of rice.
And on reading of the fine print on the labels covering these containers, a small disclaimer was uncovered stating that these delicious meals were indeed HALAL. Yes, Bruneain Muslim Friends, we have halal microwaveable meals at coles finally! Finally an alternate choice to defrosting frozen meat in winter and waiting for ages for rice to cook. Gone are the troublesome days of hours of preparing meals and the annoyance of cleaning up dishes. Halal Indian Meals ready for purchase and microwaving at coles. Ideal for students lazy of preparing and cleaning to satisfy those late night hunger pangs along with time constraint studying times. Hope some of you find these useful.... yes we can get halal indian takeout at some indian restaurants, but they close early and COLES is open until 11.... BOOYA...
Yes, slow news day...
Wednesday, June 09, 2010
Sydney International FIFA Fan Fest™
The Sydney International FIFA Fan Fest™ is the place to take in the atmosphere of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™. From June 11 to July 12, Sydney's Darling Harbour will be transformed with football fever and family fun.
Matches will be broadcast live at 9.30pm, midnight and 4.30am on giant screens in Cockle Bay and Tumbalong Park, including a floating screen and stage. There'll also be a dynamic entertainment programme. With interactive sports and family fun activities, plus Street Soccer during the day, there's no better place to share in the celebration of football and the world game. And it's free!
Some of the activities include:
Free entertainment and interactive activities from 4.00pm each day:
- Appearances by Zakumi, the 2010 FIFA World Cup™ Mascot
- Learn the Diski Dance - official dance of the 2010 FIFA World Cup™
- Football trivia competitions
The Tumbalong Park Fun Fest area opens midday to 2pm weekdays and midday to 4pm weekends and school holidays with free activities for kids of all ages:
- Football Federation Australia activities
- Multicultural music, performances, community workshops and entertainment facilitated by the likes of Rhythm Brazil, Team Beat and Philippe Lincy from Doudoumba
- Football skills and tricks with the Trick Stars
- Appearances by players from Sydney FC, Central Coast Mariners and Matildas
Date: Friday 11 June 2010 - Monday 12 July 2010
Tuesday, June 08, 2010
Want this chest bib for yourself? Want your name in the local newspaper? Well you can! Come join this year's City2Surf! A brief introduction on City2Surf if you're not familiar with it (taken from the City2Surf website):
The Sun-Herald City2Surf is 14km in distance starting from the intersection of Park and College Sts in Sydney’s CBD before heading up William St and through the tunnel at Kings Cross. The course continues along New South Head Rd through Rose Bay, then up “Heartbreak Hill” (the halfway point) and also the toughest part of the course.The course then turns the corner at Dover Heights into Old South Head Rd, left into Military Rd and then down the hill to the finish at Australia’s most famous and spectacular Bondi Beach.
The Sun-Herald City2Surf finish line is located on Queen Elizabeth Dr at the southern end of Bondi Pavilion.
For more information, you can refer to the City2Surf website which is located here. Just in case you were wondering, there are already quite a number of our BASS-ians that have entered! So join now and test yourself! If you have any questions, just post it at the shoutbox located on the right side of this blog.
- If I'm not mistaken most of the BASS guys have entered into the "Blue bib" category. For more information on the categories, please refer to the FAQs in the City2Surf website
- If you are wondering whose Bib is that in the above picture, it belongs to someone with an Awangku and an Amal in his name. Heeheehee.
Monday, June 07, 2010
As of 06/06/2010 at 20:15, BASS's Ketua Kampong for 2010-2011 is.......
Friday, June 04, 2010
The Vivid Sydney Festival is back again this year!
Here are a few of the events that are part of the festival. Click the photos for more info.
Wednesday, June 02, 2010
As most of you may know, the 11th of June will mark one of the important dates in our lives. Most of us are currently extremely busy with preparations, warm-ups and so on. Yes, I believe you know what I'm talking about. What? The World Cup? No no no no (Russel Peter's slang). I am talking about our final exams for Semester 1, 2010. Heheh.
Insyallah with all the preparations that we will make and all the hard work that we have put into this semester, we will pass and insyaallah with flying colours. To ask for His guidance and blessing, we will be having a Sembahyang Hajat this weekend. Berjemaah Maghrib dan Isyak. Details below:
When? Sunday, 6th of June 2010
Where? Miza, Zalehani and Laila's place
Time? 4:30 p.m.
1. Potluck. As usual, please do give a shoutout at the box to the left [==>] if you are bringing a particular dish. E.g. Zar - Aku bawa parut!! (Parut is not a dish though).
2. The non-muslims are most welcome to join this gathering as well. You guys can come around 6:20 p.m. Do come so that we can have a good laughing session before the exams start.
3. And last but not least, during the event the BASS community will be electing a new Ketua Kampung (KK).
Hope most of you, if not all, can attend this gathering.
Update: Can everyone bring their own Tikar Sembahyang. Just in case it's not enough. Thanks =D